Tuesday, November 10, 2009

halloween


I'm a little late on posting about our Halloween, but we've had a few other exciting announcements so Halloween had to wait.

Because Halloween was on a Saturday this year we decided we wanted to rent a car and get out of the city.  Last year we visited the ESP in Philly and Jason was determined to find a haunted house to top it.  He thought for sure there had to be some great ones around the NY area, so he did a little research and found that one of the top haunted houses in the country was just a short 2 hour drive outside of the city.  After learning this we then saw the Headless Horseman Hayride on the Travel Channels top 10 haunted houses and after seeing that, we knew we had to go.  So we loaded up on Saturday morning and headed for the tiny town of Ulster Park, NY.

Well, before heading straight to Ulster Park we drove through West Point, NY and got a glance of the academy, stopped in New Paltz and did some apple picking (well we bought apples, cider and donuts at least) and then we headed up to the Catskills for a nice foliage drive.  Once again, we enjoyed the open road with all the beautiful fall leaves while Vicky told us where to go.
The haunted house said they would have to close if it was raining and it had been a drizzly morning so we were worried we had gone all that way for nothing, but the rain went away just long enough for us to get a good scare.  The Headless Horseman Hayride was located in the middle of nowhere and after going through it we knew why.  The scream park, as they call it, was complete with a hayride, corn maze and three haunted houses.  At first I thought they were going to be cheesy but once we loaded the hayride with our feet dangling over the trailer we knew we were in for a real treat.  The one thing we loved about this haunted house was that everything was big.  The props, the characters, the houses and they even had a huge horse with a headless man on top that ran up to us when we were on the hayride.  Most haunted houses use a lot of props but all of the venues at this park were filled with characters that come up and scared us.  Jason was in heaven, of course, and it was so nice to get out of the city and see the beautiful New England trees.

We were sad that we didn't get a chance to dress up this year and missed having the Larsen's Halloween party.   Jason had planned if we did have a party to go as Jon & Kate plus 8 but after seeing many Jon & Kate's around we realized that idea wasn't too original.  I guess we'll just have to think of something good for next year.

4 comments:

Heide Gentry-Kemp said...

Sounds like you guys had fun.. Hope that all is well!!

Granum Family said...

I think you should have dressed up at jon and kate for your day of halloween fun anyway. your haunted house sounds much better than the one bryan went to :)

BreAnna said...

I love it, you know we would have been right there with you. I also have to say I love your musis, every year for the past 3 years I come to your blog and leave the page open so when Bry says "no Christmas music before Thanksgiving" I can say "It's Sheena, I can't control what she has on her blog" in fact it has become somewhat of a tradition around here :o)

BreAnna said...

and by musis, I of course mean music :o)